Thursday, February 24, 2011

Singing in Taronga Zoo

(This post is all written in English, due to the nationalities of the starred people :P)


"We got our backyard like Taronga Zoo..", a sequence of Bliss n Eso's Down by the River was playing on my ear. It was my 4th day in Australia, and I was on the ferry with my friend, Tim, going to Taronga Zoo. Tim intendedly shuffle his iPod to that song, just to show me that particular part. The song was about Australia, and it got me thinking, from all places in Aussie, this zoo I'm going is inserted. How great is it actually that Bliss n Eso put it into their song?

Before this trip, I knew nothing about it, except the fact that the zoo is located in different island. So we had to take a ferry from Sydney's Darling Harbour, which departs every 30 minutes, and yes, me and Tim missed it for 3 times.

Then, filled by curiosity, I rushed my dear friend to the gate. Apparently there are two ways to enter, either by bus or by cable rail (what they called by "Sky Safari"). Fortunately, we missed the bus, because i was busy taking pictures in front of the ferry. So we were down to one option which changed my life, the cable rail.


The cable rail or "Kereta Gantung" in Indonesian, brought us up to the upper entrance gate, which located up in the "mountain". You can walk up there actually from the lower entrance gate, but we were lazy and we wanted to see the zoo from above, that's what a Sky Safari is for yeah?



I saw exhibits of elephant, gorilla and others from the cable rail, while locating the places we wanted to go. While doing that, I looked to my back and realized, there was a beautiful scenery of Sydney as the background of our cable ride. So I came up with and idea.
"Tim, how about we record a video of us singing Hey Soul Sister inside the cable rail???"
Tim agreed, but he said we would do it later, after we finish the sightseeing. Okay, so we'll record it when we're going down.


Then, long story short, after we finished walking around, taking pictures and petting wallabies, we got on the cable rail for the 2nd time, but this time, we're going down. So yes, we sat down, with Sydney Opera House and Harbor Bridge as the background, we set our camera. Then we clicked record.

"Hey ey! Hey ey ey ey ey, Hey ey ey ey ey!"
"Your lipstick stains, on the front lobe of my left side brains...."

That was it. We were singing the whole verse of "Hey Soul Sister" by Train, out loud. We finished the whole song when out cable rail reached the ground.
However, this is when the story got more interesting.
When we got out, one zoo officer (a big guy with Taronga Zoo jacket and a walkie talkie) asked us.
"Were you guys singing?"

OOOPSS! He heard us! Did we sing too loud?
I did my worried look to Tim, and he just replied with a big grin. Damn you.
"Yea", Tim answered.
"What's the title?", asked the big guy again.

O-oh! Are we in trouble? (My hand started sweating)
"H-Hey Soul Sister", I answered.

Just when I thought he'll let us go, he asked another question, "How is it???"

I, who didnt understand what he meant, was about to answer: yea it's a good song, but then Tim's words changed my life.
"Dissa, you'll do it", he said with commanding eyes.

EH?
Do what?
Sing it?
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

But I sang it anyway.
Just when I started to open my mouth, that big guy (who I wish I know the name) took out his walkie talkie and put it in front of my face. Whoaa!


I finished one verse for him and he looked happy and clapped, hahaha.
I felt so like killing Tim right now because he also clapped. Geesh, man! I needed you to sing with me! Because apparently when I sang the screen of the walkie talkie said "Sky Safari Taronga Zoo". Let's just hope my voice is not actually heard all over the cable rail route, or the worst, the whole zoo. Because I'm sure people will think there was a chimpanzee singing :P

No comments:

Post a Comment